blogging questions

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

(If you want to skip the background and go to the actual queries, they are at the bottom of the post.)

I’ve not posted a blog entry since the end of May. It’s not that I don’t have things to write about – I have knitting to show you, I have writing projects to talk about, I have cello insights to muse on.

The problem is the actual device I use for blog posting because I now have an iPad.

I’m not an early adopter of technology. I’m an eventual adopter. I get around to the latest thing once I’m convinced it has some staying power in the world, won’t be a waste of money, and really will be useful to me.

Tablets seem to have some staying power. (Am I the only one who thinks Douglas Adams’ description of the actual Hitchhiker’s Guidebook sounds awfully like an iPad or a Kindle? And does anyone remember the portable device that Picard would sometimes read things on in his ready room? Looked rather like a tablet thingy.)

Anyway, I got an iPad because there were several things I wanted to do more portably – research, read, and write. I don’t always want to sit at my desk to do these things, especially reading, and laptops are still clunky enough to be a pain to move elsewhere.

I’m happy to say I do all three things on the iPad and then some. I read ebooks from Kindle and iBooks. I write my Morning Pages brain dump on 750words.com. I use Skype to chat with my mom. I watch stuff from Netflix. I post messages on Twitter and Facebook. I use the Evernote app to store novel outlines, research notes…and blog post drafts.

And then things come to a screeching halt. I have never had problems with Blogger itself as a site on which to have a blog, which is why I’ve stuck with it for so many years. However, importing text and images and links to Blogger on the iPad is Painful. I mean, Paaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnfuuuuuullllll. It’s a very fiddley and slow process.

So that means I end up having to do the actual blog publishing work on my laptop, which makes my shoulders sag at the very thought. I would love to get rid of my laptop, but unfortunately, there are still some word processing things that can only be done, or can be done more easily, on a laptop or desktop computer. Mores the pity.

I have a backlog of blog posts, and absolutely no desire to fire up the laptop to post them.

Here are my queries: Do you blog from a tablet device? If you do, do you do it directly on the site from your tablet or do you use an app? If you use an app, which one?

4 comments:

Full Passport said...

I have to say, I only blog from the laptop. As you say, the tablet is too 'fiddly' (to borrow your perfect word!). However, as I see my students using their tablets for just about everything, I think I'm going to have to start adapting so I can make their homework more tablet-friendly.

cate polacek said...

I've been told that Blogger does have an app, but when I investigated it, I discovered it's for iPhone and iTouch, but not for iPad. Given the length of the average blog post, it seems like it would be insanity to regularly type out blogs on a phone or a Touch, given how tiny the screen and keyboard are.

I've also been alerted to an app called Blogsy, which can be used on the iPad, and feeds into all the major blogging platforms, so I'm going to look into that one.

gottagopractice said...

Catching up on some old blogs (Happy New Year, BTW) and wondering if you solved the iPad to Blogger dilemma. Have you tried emailing your post in? You could compose in your email client or Evernote. I know you can include attached pictures, but would be limited in placement (to the top of the post I believe) so would need to edit post hoc if you wanted better placement of illustrations.

cate polacek said...

Nope, still no solution. I've taken to doing exactly as you mentioned - I write the draft in Evernote and put placeholder text for pics, upload that, and then go to a regular computer to do the fiddley stuff. I also found out that using the iPad to comment on someone's blog presents its own set of problems. Namely, when you type text, if you delete anything, and then want to type after that, it gets hung up and won't type anything. And if you need to log in to an ID to post a comment, doing that via iPad can sometimes make the system choke as it doesn't recognize the login from iPad.